Cookies

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well and Living In Paris

I needn't have worried that this revue (one of my favorite shows in town) would lose its spark almost a year into its run: this was one of the best performances of the show I've seen yet. I can't say I didn't miss Natascia Diaz (who's left the show to do Carnival in DC) but her replacement, Jayne Paterson, sings passionately and chooses restraint and stillness to great effect. I have to hand it to Robert Cuccioli and Gay Marshall - they've been at this for nearly a year but you'd never know it from their emotionally-charged, vocally impressive performances. (An added bonus was that this particular audience was keenly appreciative: bravo's and brava's greeted "Amsterdam," "Marieke," and several other numbers.) The show has a new musical director (its third?) in Rick Hip-Flores, who is fun to watch and obviously capable. The big question mark was the stunt casting of American Idol also-ran Constantin Maroulis: he gets the material, he's relaxed and natural on stage, he sings with great feeling, and he pulled off "Next" more convincingly than anyone else I've seen. He fits right in.

No comments: