Monday, February 25, 2013
Things I Learned While Watching the 2013 Academy Awards
1) I have not set foot in a movie theater in a full calendar year, at least.
2) Nonetheless, missing the awards telecast was simply not a possibility.
3) Seth McFarlane is cute, charming, and all too often a walking justification for other peoples' casual racism, sexism, anti-Semitism, and/or homophobia.
4) Shirley Bassey is still alive.
5) Jack Nicholson no longer is, but his spirit roams the Earth in a deranged Merry Prankster sort of way, and he is only visible to living human beings once a year, on Oscar night.
6) Marvin Hamlisch is, apparently, the most important and revered dead person in Hollywood this year.
7) Men who work behind the scenes in Hollywood all have long, silky, Fabio-like hair.
8) The film version of Chicago is the most important, earth-shattering, significant movie musical ever made in the history of Hollywood.
9) Catherine Zeta-Jones lip syncs much better than she actually sings.
10) Catherine Zeta-Jones blinks her eyes on cue very well.
11) The Best Documentary award went to the most edgy, risky, political choice there was. Oh. Never mind.
12) Camera lenses are very interesting.
13) Dreams do come true, but they come true more often if you are white, pretty, and raised by people with enormous wealth.
14) Channing Tatum and Jennifer Aniston are not going to appear in a movie that relies on romantic chemistry anytime soon.
15) A few people actually did see Life of Pi and, apparently, liked it very much.
16) Costume designers are the frumpiest, most poorly dressed people on the planet. I totally should have been a costume designer.
17) Quentin Tarantino is the reason the Earth spins on its axis, and everything he says is important, interesting, and not remotely irritating, ever.
18) Jew-baiting is cool if a dog puppet is the one doing it.
19) Russell Crowe really, truly cannot sing.
20) Anne Hathaway can, and also can do so with a smudged face and the presence of boogers, which is probably why she took home the award and had all her dreams come true.
21) I really do like Sally Field, and always will.
22) I can't WAIT for the Tony Awards.