This list is easy--these five shows were squirmingly wretched:
(In reverse alphabetical order.)
- West Side Story: A breath-taking example of how to direct the life out of a show.
- Loaded: Completely lacking wit, drama, believability, or a reason to exist.
- Impressionism: Bafflingly bad on every level. Confusing plot, bad acting by good actors, dumb premise.
- Hedda Gabler (with Mary Louise Parker): What were they thinking?
- Desire Under the Elms: Not only the worst show I saw this year, but one of the very worst I've seen in 40 years of play-going. Stultifying, pompous, and excruciating.