Cookies

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Deuce

***
Broadway

How do I put this delicately? Okay, here goes... I was actually quite charmed by these two very big actresses (Marian Seldes and Angela Landsbury) in this little play. After Chris's review I was expecting a theatrical implosion of black hole proportions where not even Armageddon can escape. At the performance I attended this did not happen. Yes, this is less of a play and more of a 100 minute polite conversation. Yes, there were some memorization problems, though from what I hear it's becoming less and less of an issue. If the only merit of this production is the novelty of seeing these two legends onstage together then it's a pretty substantial novelty. Both of these handsome, elegant women's personalities shone through and I was very glad I got to spend some time with them. They received a (partial though substantial) standing ovation at curtain call and I felt like they deserved it.
Also blogged by [Patrick]

No comments: