Cookies

Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Moon For The Misbegotten

****
Brooks Atkinson

Having never seen or read Moon... before, I did not have the same vantage point as many of the prominent, NY critics, many of whom had issues with this revival. I fell in love with this on-the-verge-of-imploding wasteland of a play and thought the production was pretty darned top notch. The nuanced, sarcastic, carefully-sloppy performance given by Kevin Spacey as the legendary, comfortably drunk son of the Tyrones from Long Days Journey... often made me shudder and hide my eyes in shame and sympathy. The superb Eve Best, playing the original Pirate Queen, passionately and violently stomped down the clay-floor of this dirty-brown set making a bed for the poor alcoholic whom she desperately wanted to mother. I LOVED this play. They just don't make `em like used to.

Also blogged by: [Patrick] [Christopher]

No comments: