Cookies

Friday, May 11, 2007

Cary From The Cock

**
Gene Frankel

There is a lot of courage here in Cary Curran who is baring her soul and pretty much everything else in this autobiographical one woman play generally about her transition from Catholic square to Downtown fag hag. Being close to the same age as her and also having my own transition from a suburban Christian square to Downtown trash fag, I got every reference from The Waltons and Amy Grant (I sang "Thy Word" in church too) to Girlina (oops! I mean `Lina) and that infamous jizzy Jaccuzi (sorry about that). Though there was plenty for me to relate to, unfortunately with notalotta experience carrying a show on her own there was a lack of timing and delivery that really could have sold her sassy material (however it must be noted that I saw only her second performance). Also this seemed to be less of a focused narrative about a single theme and more of a hodgepodge of stories strung together by the simple fact that they're all about herself. My favorite part was her dance tribute to Mother Theresa to Air Supply's "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All". It was hysterical and the audience loved it. She's a kick-ass dancer- that's what she does best.

No comments: